Tuesday, July 24, 2007

My own flat!!!

Ah! Freedom! :D

I don't mind hotel breakfasts, but it's not a good life living in hotels. So I'm happy I today moved in with Holger at Taunusstrasse, close to the main railway station in Frankfurt. Yeah, it's in the red light district (I have red neon hearts all over the opposite house) but it's a perfect location! Close to town, close to the train out to Rüsselsheim, close to the Main, close to the canoe club, close to the park stretching all around the central town. :) I had a jog around that park today - a nice easy 40 minute run, partially along the Main.

I met a new friend on Friday! John, a guy from Canada, who works for GM on the IT side. He actually offered me his girlfriend's flat (he wants her to move in with him ;). It was a tough decision! A centrally located shared old flat or a brand new 1-room apartment on the 13th floor overlooking Frankfurt (from a distance). Finally - after hours of pro/con-lists and discussions with friends all over Europe - I finally made up my mind. But it was a tough one! Another 20 minute commute time (one-way) did it...

Anyway, John is a good chap! He talks a bit too much ;) but he's a really good guy, into Chinese - caligraphy and Chinese martial arts and stuff.

But the Germans are strange! At work there is a guy responsible for pens and post-it notes and that kind of gear. What a waste! In Sweden there's a place where all that stuff is located and whenever you miss something you just get it. But no - that's too simple for a German! There has to be one Responsible! And you have to ask him to get a pen, please. Unbelievable...

They can't to a proper latte either. If you order a cafe latte you get a latte machiato! If you insist they get all confused... The closest you get is ordering a double machiato. Then the strength is about right, but the whipped milk is still far to "un-creamy". Sad.

Last Midsummer I was in Finland and Boten Anna was a big hit. Now it has reached Germany. There is a German version also - Dicke Anna...

Ok, 10 days in Germany. Ten good days! :) But it's unbelievable how inefficient the Germans are. I still don't have a computer or phone or even network access at work! Good I fixed the apartment myself - that only took 2 days. And I got like three friends already and a bunch of familiar faces. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.