Thursday, February 14, 2008

Being spoilt

Last entry was about boredom. A luxury decease...

Tonight I read a short story by Agnes von Krusenstjerna: Stulet nyår (Stolen new-year). It's about a woman in her forties, early last century. She was old, tired, gray, run-down and dirty, had never been kissed, had never eaten herself full, never been warm enough.

On New Year's eve she was watching the house of her master. She had already watered the flowers and should have left. But she stayed, tried the Missus clothes, felt their delicate fabric and texture, walked on the soft carpets, combed herself with a silver comb and felt all wonderful smells. Someone called to wish the family a happy end to the year, to her! She was in heaven. She forgot all about her gray shed, the cold, the rats, her hard bed.

While reading I realized what a spoiled little brat I am! I have more clothes than enough, can eat more than enough every day, have been kissed by too many, I am young, clean, strong and healthy, full of energy. What the hell am I complaining about??? Oh, I don't have a girl-friend! Oh, I can't buy everything I want! Oh, I don't know what shoes to buy! What the hell? Wake up! You're a privileged man! Enjoy it! And be thankful, brat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.