Monday, December 03, 2007

Fichtelgebirge - Finally the winter started! :)

I rented a car at www.billiger-mietwagen.de (only 66 Euro with free mileage for a weekend with a 1,6l Astra) and left Frankfurt heading east.

First lesson: The Traffic is a bitch in Germany! I spent hours on the A3 and even though I cruised at 180 the rest of the way I wasn't in Oberwarmensteinach until 9! But the Hempelsberg lift is open 'til 10, so I got roughly an hour to work out that first-time-of-the-season energy. :)

I then slept at the Backerei Schmidt, by the church, where I got excellent service from the lovely old couple running the Gasthaus. For only 25 Euro!

It included a brilliant breakfast, so the next day I was set for a good day of snowboarding! The southern lift of Ochsenkopf was closed due to some repairs, so I headed for the Ochsenkopf Nord lift - 2220m long, taking you 358m higher. A very nice start of the season - a long, easy run with few people. But then again it rained and the slope was very soft... So I rode until I got tired (didn't take long), went home for a shower and then visited Nurnberg where there was a "Weinachtsmarkt". Of course.

On Sunday I was in pain, I was bored and it started to rain again. So after like 4 rides in Ochsenkopf I headed back to Frankfurt again. No queues. And a nice end to a great season opening.

No comments: